Thursday, August 19, 2010

Samaritan in me turns aggrieved


So like a Samaritan I did not hesitate much in stopping near a screaming youth and a woman who were desperately waving their hands and asking the speeding cars drivers to stop. I had seen them from a distance.

Initially, skeptic as I was haunted by several stories of loot in such a fashion in the past and being in two minds whether to stop or not as late as 11 at night I thought I should go ahead and not to stop. But the Samaritan raised its head in me and my car screeched to a halt near them.

The panic stricken youth told me that his father was bashed by some hoodlums at their shanty and he and his sister (he pointed towards the woman) anyhow managed to make good their escape. The two then pleaded before me to take them to Habibganj police station to seek help of police.

As if I was also panic stricken I offered rear seat to the two and sped away towards Habibganj police station. While I was driving the two continued to utter words of frustration and pressurize me repeatedly to make them reach the police station as soon as possible.

However, after the initial moments of panic to help them get to police station as soon as possible I recollected the composure and drove the car at more than moderate speed but not a high speed to invite any accident on the road.

The youth talked of taking revenge with his enemies who attacked his father and them and had talk with his friends also on cell phone swearing revenge with swords. Soon I realized the youth was drunk and I repented my decision to help a drunkard person. But I thought when I had driven this far I should drop them at the police station and get back home. In the panicky situation I forgot that my car’s fuel level was almost getting to zero.

The story unexpectedly had a twist, much to my discomfort. I was barely two furlongs away from the Habibganj police station when the youth said I was driving towards wrong destination saying that there lay Mahila Police Station in the direction I was driving towards and that the police station lay in the other direction.

I insisted that I was going in right direction and I asked them to identify the road with the help of Bittan Market just 200 yards ahead. But in a fit of intoxication he was not willing to listen to me. The woman also joined her brother and the two asked me to drop before Bittan Market.

I did it immediately given the apprehension that if the woman got panicky and she leveled some charges against me I would land trouble. The moment the two got down the youth who was profusely thanking me for timely help and showing courage to stop and extend help them till some moments back started hurling charges against me.

Returning home I said to myself- Good riddance. Though the incident shook me badly, I have no intention of being an uncivilized person in future as not to extend helping hand to needy persons. I will stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment